Tuesday, October 28, 2008

here's to hard work!


OK  I hope you guys are going to be really excited. 
 I meant to give some sort of heads up.  But once again it looks like this may be coming out of left field.  And I appologize in advance for hardly taking any interesting pictures!!  If you look really closely at the picture above you will see me in the reflection.  Yeah, I was super lazy in the photography dept the past couple of days.

Last Thursday I headed out for Houston, by myself, to International Quilt Market!!! I was doing research for a possible little online shop.  I had the cutest idea ever.  Really.  I did.

 
 I also brought along with me my finished portfolio!  I know, I've stopped talking about it.  But I never stopped working on it.  I kicked it into high gear back in August.  I was obsessed.  A woman with a mission. 
 I shopped it around to different fabric companies. I got a lot of positive feedback.  People loved my use of color and I kept hearing again and again how original it is.  That was huge for me.  The best compliment I could get for sure!  Originality is golden.  And sometimes it's so hard to even know if you are or not.  So out with the good news already right?!! I got a couple of offers on my line!    Actually, my first offer just felt like home. I LOVED them and was very excited.  I had to leave immediately and go cry.  
My new friends, designers Tula Pink and Holly from Urban Chicks insisted I keep showing it and I'm glad I did.  It was great to get so much positive feedback from other companies even if many of them didn't have room for anyone new.  I have heard that it can be pretty brutal.  Overall it was a great experience.  I met the cutest girl Bari of Bari J designs.  She was also pitching a line.  I just checked out her website! Wow!  If she made the same decision as I did it looks like we both may be at spring market together!  I have a lot of editing to do.  I over designed for sure!  We all want options right!  I had 17 different designs and 6 color ways!  I will be cutting and editing that down to about 6 and 3 respectively.  And something totally new may even emerge in the mean time.  

So between that and Lindsay Jane Photography, I've decided to hold off on my shop idea for now.  I know I'll be super busy for a while.

I have to leave you with this quote that I heard at Market.  "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is often dressed in overalls and looks a lot like work."  Thomas Edison

I'm grateful for these opportunities and for all the hard work that lies ahead!

12 comments:

Lori said...

Andrea!! That is such, such awesome news! How exciting!! Keep us informed of every single detail.

One Happy Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jona Giammalva said...

That's thrilling!! I'll keep an eye out for your fabric (although those barely sneak peeks drive me nuts!)!

andrea said...

Thanks guys!

Lindsay is Derek's sister. She is Lindsay Jane photography. It's not a school, but they are hiring and they do train their staff. I'm in the very first stage of training right now.
How I find the time: I don't have much free time anymore. Also, before I left for market I was such a basket case I actually had a head on collision IN the grocery store. Yes, I rammed someone with my buggy. She was NOT amused.
I'm hoping that once I get unpacked things will calm down! And I need to get super organized!!

Merrida said...

!!! Soo excited for you! Hope you enjoyed your trip to my lovely state of Texas..although you were in one of the ickies cities..sorry. Can't wait to see you Friday!!

mindy said...

that is really awesome, drea!! way to go! Can't wait to see more of your work.

Katie said...

I am so happy for you Andrea!

Amber said...

Go Drea! Can't wait to hear how it all shakes out!

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I just left you an email, but yes, that's what I decided too. It felt just like home to me as well. I will definitely be seeing you this spring. Champagne toast to hard work and perseverance!
XO,
Bari

Beth said...

YEA DREA!!!!!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You are the woman!!! It's so awesome that your hard work has paid off so well. Be sure to post what happens next!!

Stacey said...

You never cease to amaze me at the talents that you possess. Great Job! You are amazing.

cally said...

Oh My Goodness Gosh!!

Really, I'm a little sad you left without me. I had my bags packed and all.

But for real...This is the coolest. I'm hyperventilating. Because you've just shown that it can happen. I am so proud, and a little jealous.

You're so awesome.