Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 21: Holy Crystal! (literally)

We had the best day today. We cleaned the crystal in the temple. We can't take pictures inside,but it is so beautiful! There are several really gorgeous chandeliers and sconces. They are made up of these crystals in my hand. We took each one off and cleaned it and then put them back on. It took 18 people 6 hours to complete. When we were done they let us take home one of the chipped ones as a remeberance of the day. It was a really great experience. I would recommend it to anyone who gets the chance.
Here is our bishop and his wife followed by my friend Ann and her husband walking outside the temple.
The whole while Chickie and Bentley were having a blast at Derek and Christina's. We rated it the numero uno backyard. Thanks in large part to the ultra cool pirate ship that Derek dreamed up.
Today I'm greatful for the temple and the awesome spirit of peace that I feel there!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I remember when I had the privilege of hanging crystal's in the bridal room in the Nashville Temple. It was one of the best experiences ever. It was newly constructed. At the time they were doing the gold leafing on the wall. When I got out of the temple I realized I had some gold leafing on my shoe. I was so excited. Real gold from the temple! I tried to save it. I can't remember if I was successful or not. Weird.
Anyway, that's awesome. I bet that was a lot of work, but so worth it.
I miss going to the temple. If only little Lincoln would take a bottle.

Beth said...

When the Nashville Temple was being built, Amber, Brandi, and I drove down one Saturday to have lunch beside it (just for fun). There were YW hanging crystals in the celestial room. There was a man there who invited us to help, when I told him I was getting married there in August he gave us the grand tour. I will never forget how much that day meant to me. It is so beautiful and peaceful there, I love the temple!!!

mindy said...

that's really cool, drea. 18 people--six hours!?!? WOW! That's 108 manhours of work! Amazing!

Amber said...

I was having the same memory as Beth did while reading your post. The temple is such a blessing! I was sad that James and I couldn't volunteer this time... that whole nursing baby thing kind of puts some restrictions on some things. Lucky you!

One Happy Family said...

Wow! When I read your post I was going to share my experience of being one of the fortunate YW to hang the crystals in the small sealing room and in the celestial room. It's neat to see your friends all have a similar experience. I always think of this amazing experience whenever Nathan and I go to the temple and I get to see the beautiful chandeliers. Definitely an escape from the worries of the world.

I enjoyed seeing Bishop & Sister Udy and the Cornett's. These were two of my favorite families from Maryville. Glad you had a great weekend trip.